If you're considering ways to straighten your smile you may be wondering if Invisalign is right for you. Today our BC Straight Smile Dentists look at the types of orthodontic issues that Invisalign can often be used to treat.
Can Invisalign correct my orthodontic issue?
For many people Invisalign clear aligners are the ideal orthodontic treatment choice. Even if you believe that your smile poses a particularly tough challenge, or if you're a teenager and your adult teeth are still growing in, Invisalign may be a suitable treatment for you to consider.
Whether your smile needs a simple straightening or a bigger fix, Invisalign may be able to help you achieve the straight smile you've been dreaming of.
Our dentists know that every smile is unique, and since you will be living with it for weeks or months, finding the right orthodontic treatment for you is essential. Invisalign is continually innovating to give great results to more and more smiles. Here are some of the issues that Invisalign has been designed to help treat:
- If there isn't enough room in your jaw for all of your teeth to fit comfortably, the result can be teeth that are bunched up, overlapping and twisted. The extra nooks and crannies caused by crowded teeth can make it difficult to clean your teeth effectively, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease. Invisalign clear aligners can help to correct crowded teeth.
- If your upper front teeth overlap with your lower front teeth dentists say you have an overbite. Most people have an overbite to some degree, but if your overbite is too large it can cause problems such as jaw pain and worn teeth. Invisalign treatment may be able to help correct your overbite or deep bite.
- When your mouth is closed, if your lower teeth are in front of your upper teeth, you have an underbite. Underbites are often caused by a problem with the lower jaw being too far forward. If you have an underbite it can be difficult to chew properly or speak clearly. An underbite can also cause to teeth to wear down more quickly. Invisalign can be used to fix some less severe underbites, however more severe underbites may require additional or alternative treatments.
- If you close your mouth and some of your upper teeth are sitting inside your lower teeth instead of on the outside this is called a crossbite. A crossbite can lead to painful gum problems or even bone loss over time. Invisalign treatment can help to fix some types of crossbite.
- Do you have extra space between two or more of your teeth? This is often referred to as a spacing issue or gap teeth. Food particles can become stuck in the pockets created by gapped teeth, making gums tender and sore, possibly even leading to gum disease. Invisalign clear aligners may be able to fix gaps in your smile.
- When your mouth is closed, if your upper and lower teeth don't touch, your dentist will refer to this as an open bite. An open bite can make chewing and biting foods such as apples more difficult. Yes, Invisalign may be able to help correct your open bite.